Thursday, February 28, 2013

Steak Nirvana


The perfect portion. So I had two.
We are down to the last cuts of meat from our cow share. And this week I pulled the final few hunks out of the freezer to finish them off (what a lousy chore, ha ha). I didn’t know I would discover the most amazing, simple meat on the planet. Oh, and be reminded of what this paleo thing is all about.

So the steak I saved for last was a porterhouse. Mostly because neither of our previous shares had included one and I wasn’t quite sure how to cook it. Ignorance really is bliss.

As a dinner companion, I wilted down a bunch of baby spinach on low heat with garlic and olive oil. This took all of five minutes and three ingredients. While I’d like to give credit to the amazing spice complication (salt and pepper) and the fantastic grilling of my husband (4-5 mins a side on direct high), the beauty in this meal was the simplicity of the steak itself. It tasted like meat, butter and fireworks.

This is where grassfed meat really shines. In my opinion, grassfed, pasture-raised meat simply cannot be matched in quality. Beef is an item where you truly get what you pay for (this stuff isn’t cheap). However, one bite of that steak made me feel like I got the bargain of the century.

Above all else, this dinner reminded me that paleo doesn’t have to be complicated. It doesn’t have to be about carefully emulsifying olive oil and lemon. It doesn’t have to be blending complex and varied spice mixes. It doesn’t have to be finding “substitutes.” It can just be simple. And shut-the-front-door good.

Lesson learned. Thank you porterhouse. 

PS The next cow share arrives my house this weekend. I'm crossing my fingers for a porterhouse. 

No comments:

Post a Comment