Thursday, February 21, 2013

Squashome

I think we can all agree that squash is awesome. Acorn, spaghetti, butternut varieties all have a special place in my belly heart.  What’s not awesome about squash is the process of cutting, cleaning, roasting and pureeing the awkwardly shaped vegetable. Frankly, I’m lucky to have 10 fingers after the battles I’ve had dissecting a few behemoth gourds.
Safety First
So I have a confession to make: I buy my winter squash already pureed and frozen. (Gasp!) I can feel you judging me. Don’t you want me to keep digits intact?
Saving all that time (and my fingers)  is how I discovered the warm, comforting and simple squash soup recipe below. It's an amalgamation of a dishes I'd tried pre-paleo. I tweaked the ingredients and spicing to my taste.
This can be whipped up in 20 mins (if your squash is defrosted and you’re not a martyr who makes it from scratch).
Here’s what you need…
  • 4 packs pureed frozen squash (defrosted)
  • 1 can coconut milk
  • 1 can chicken stock
  • 1/4 cup green curry paste
  • 1-2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup lime juice (I used bottled lime juice, so clearly I am in no way qualified to tell anyone how to cook.) 
Put a saucepan on medium-high heat and dump in the defrosted squash and can of coconut milk. Fill the empty can of coconut milk with chicken stock and pour it in. Let it warm up a bit and then add the curry paste. You’ll have to do some work to break up the paste, sometimes I whisk it or use a fork to break it down. Let it get bubbly and add salt to taste. Once it’s incorporated, bring the heat down and add the lime juice for some tang. Eat up!
To add some greens, you can stir in fresh spinach, but I only recommend that if you’re not keeping it for leftovers. You can also add it in as you reheat single servings. I also topped it with crumbled sausage the other day. What’s not better with sausage? 

2 comments:

  1. I write a food blog, and I also use bottled lime juice. So....there's that.

    ReplyDelete