Wednesday, February 6, 2013

I Was Hungry for 29 Years

About a year ago, I was eating a steady diet of low-fat, low-calorie foods. And I was hungry. Really hungry. All the time.
I once posted my Facebook status as, “I am hungry every moment of everyday ever.” It had 50 likes and comments in 10 minutes. I was not alone.
Through the recommendations of some friends, I joined CrossFit Aspire. I joke that CrossFit is a cult that doubles as a gym. I drank the kool aid – oh yeah. One morning I showed up for a workout, but it was really a nutrition seminar. That’s where I learned Paleo IOI and started my first 30 Day Challenge of eating only real food.
After a week, I wondered aloud if eating Paleo raises your body temperature because while I used to be constantly freezing cold – with my fingernails turning blue – I was now comfortable. Apparently that means my blood sugar had leveled off to a normal amount. Who knew?
Beyond not being cold (which is so amazing I could talk about it for hours), Paleo means I’m not hungry all the time. I’m eating foods that fill me up and are good for me. Today my fridge is brimming with spaghetti squash, meatballs, chili, kale and spinach.
My energy level, gut and strength has never been better. I can do things – like push press 120 x3 – that I never dreamed about before. And my stomach doesn’t rumble with hunger or distress.
I’m hoping this blog will be a place where I can share some cool recipes, talk about my CrossFit obsession, and explain both of these things to my friends who think I’m crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment