Sunday, February 17, 2013

Good News, Bad News



Cankles are hot.
I always like to get the bad news first. I don’t know why. Maybe I’m a pessimist. Maybe I like to end on good news. My glass is never half full or half empty because I drink stuff pretty fast.

Since this is my blog, I guess you have to get the bad news first. If you don’t want it first, please skip to the next paragraph and come back. It’s like a Choose Your Own Adventure novel. Bad news: I twisted, sprained, did something wonky to my ankle Friday. It’s now swollen, sore and yucky.

The good news is that I did it on my third rep of a 205 back squat set. Yay! It would have been a PR if I could have stuck it out. My previous set was 195 so I'm still pretty happy. Except for the afore mentioned bad news.

The big question is: how does one twist their ankle doing a back squat? It takes a very stupid special person to accomplish this. On the third rep of the 205 set I decided to bail. This is a pretty simple thing, especially in a back squat, you basically let the weight roll backwards off your shoulders and scoot out from under it. Unless you’re me. And then you lean your chest too far forward, get the weight stuck on your back, finally shove it off, twist away, and land your dumbass on the floor. 

As I went down, I heard my ankle crack. And that’s why I’m sitting on my couch right now, iced and elevated, being bummed out that I ruined my weekend.

I am dumb. The end.

4 comments:

  1. Stop hurting yourself, JP! We need you whole and in tact!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If that's the x-ray that you posted, doesn't look like you broke the bone. That's definitely a good news! Probably the torn ligament is the bad news! Feel better Jilly Pants!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dreamcatcher! I'm glad it's not broken, but it's still slowing me down quite a bit. At least I can still do handstands!

      Delete