Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Breakfast is My Jam


Breakfast is my jam. Eggs are my friend. Sausage is my cuddle buddy. And bacon…I don’t even know if we can go there (even on the internet).

Part of what makes my morning meal so awesome today is that pre-paleo my breakfasts were pretty lackluster. Instant oatmeal, a fiber bar, maybe some egg whites topped with low-fat cheese…that is some sad food.
On my first 30 day paleo challenge (30 days of eating 100% paleo), I started eating eggs for breakfast. In the beginning, I had a hard time eating egg yolks. Not because I didn’t like them (they are golden heaven), but because I had been taught they were “bad.” Oh, how wrong I was…
Early on, in what I’ll call my “egg phase,” I ate a lot of hard boiled or fried eggs with meat on the side. But something was missing. I was veggie-less.
I started searching for ways to eat my veggies in the morning too (two cups of veggies at every meal!).  One of the best breakfast combinations I’ve done recently is grilled chicken legs with a green smoothie (recipe coming soon).
This week I improvised a breakfast casserole that has all sorts of good stuff in it, including greens. It’s not revolutionary, but it’s tasty!
Chorizo and Kale Breakfast Casserole
·         2 pounds fresh chorizo (I use Whole Foods)
·         1 large onion, chopped
·         I bunch kale, stemmed and torn into chunks
·         16 eggs
·         ¼ cup Frank’s Red Hot
·         1 T garlic powder
·         Dash of pepper
Pre-heat oven to 350. Dice onion and crumble chorizo in a large skillet. Cook on medium high until the sausage is cooked through. Once it’s cooked, turn to low and fold in the kale. The kale will wilt into the sausage and make awesomeness. Take the mixture and spread it into the bottom of an 11x17 pan.
Separately, beat the eggs and fold in the Frank’s and the garlic powder. For less spice, use less Franks (duh).  Once it’s blended, pour it over the meat mixture. Take that yumminess and put it in the oven for 30-40 mins. Cook until it’s firm in the middle.
This makes enough to serve for breakfast (for two!) all week. And you can say you got some veggies for breakfast. It’s a win win.

6 comments:

  1. Kale and my tummy are not friends - even ough I love the taste of it- but I bet this would work with spinach or chard?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm - spinach might work but I wouldn't cook it in the sausage because its way more delicate than kale. Maybe you could just fold it in when you're mixing it all together. Swiss chard is still a mystery veggie to me, let me know if you try it!

      Oh, you could also skip the greens altogether and throw in some sautéed potatoes!

      Delete
  2. ohh i want to try this with the spinach too!! im pinning this lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try the kale first, you might be surprised at the yummyness!

      Teach me how to make pins! I totally want to learn!

      Delete
  3. This sounds amazing! I think the spinach would be a fun substitution. Swiss chard would be good too. :)

    ReplyDelete