Monday, May 20, 2013

Fat Bottomed Pineapple

The other day I posted on Facebook about grilling pineapple and got lots of enthusiastic responses. Apparently there’s a large contingent of people who want to know more about grilled fruit, which makes me pretty happy about my group of friends.
Because I got a number of questions surrounding the mechanics of pineapple grilling, I took some time this weekend to map it out. This means I got had to make and eat more grilled pineapple – poor, poor me.
Grilled Pineapple
·         1 fresh pineapple
Turn your grill to medium heat. 
Pineapple Carnage

To “butcher” the pineapple, lay it on its side and cut off the top and bottom, making sure you have a flat surface on each end that is all yellow and free of skin. Flip the pineapple back up to the now-flat bottom. Sidebar: “fat bottomed girls” just started playing in my head – I like this recipe more now.
Grip pineapple with one hand to steady the fruit, then take your knife and cut a strip of skin off the pineapple from top-to-bottom. Continue cutting around the fruit until you have what looks like a big hunk of pineapple.
Take the hunk and lay it on its side, then cut it into 1/2-3/4 inch slices. Drop the slices onto the hot grill. You will think that a pineapple will grill fast. You will be wrong. The longer the fruit grills, the juicer it becomes – totally counterintuitive, but trust me on this one. I’m intentionally typing a lot in this paragraph to help take up some of the long grilling time. You’re welcome.
Grill on one side for 15 minutes or until you can see a visible char on the fruit. Flip and grill about 10 minutes on the other side. Remove from grill and enjoy the juicy, caramelized pineapple goodness.

2 comments:

  1. you just reminded me i have dried pineapple in my desk! damn you. also, i expect grilled pineapple next time we come over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I support eating pineapple in all forms. Expect it the next time we hang.

      Delete